Monday, February 2, 2009

100 Word Summary of " The New Advocacy and the Old"

Gertrude Himmelfarb…. “I” do not agree. In this essay she is trying to explain how professors and educators are trying to convey history through an autobiographical medium. She does not agree with the idea of educators using their experiences and opinions to teach academic material. To me that is one of the most critical ways of teaching. By developing your own thoughts and ideas as a professor, you in turn open a door that allows your students to create concrete ideas and opinions of their own. This allows discussion, debate, in depth thought, and the ability to truly learn.

2 comments:

  1. Meghan,

    I like that you took a more personal approach to this summary than some did, and considering the subject of Himmelfarb's essay this approach is quite fitting. I think, though, that by focusing on your own reaction to Himmelfarb's essay you had to limit your actual summary of her points. As a personal reaction and summary combined, I think you've done a nice job, but I think that Himmlefarb's points are somewhat overshadowed by your own points (which are certainly good points, and on which I agree with you).

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't agree with her either, so I didn't feel like summarizing her essay.

    ReplyDelete