Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Hours! (aka: Michael Cunningham is a genius)

Ok, the first thing I want to point out is on the page with the two quotes (before the prologue). The second quote, by Virginia Woolf, reminds me of her "tunneling" comment. "I dig out beautiful caves behind my characters," she says. The same concept? I believe so.

While reading Michael Cunningham, keep your eye out for subtle references to VW and Mrs. D. They litter every page, for sure. Some are not so subtle... like Clarissa Vaughn's nickname... but check out the names of the other characters. Most main characters have names we encountered in Mrs. D, but many are used for people who play a different role. Also, it's neat to observe how MC has changed the Sally/Clarissa story. And don't forget Mary Krull... you'll meet her later. And what does Wellfleet remind us of? Bourton? NO WAY!

Another thing that impresses me all the time about The Hours is MC's ability to create for us VW's mental state (and Mrs. Brown's, for that matter). His descriptions of diseased mental health are spot-on and very realistic. I am 100% convinced while reading this book that MC actually has lived inside VW's brain... he's that good.

This is one well-crafted novel, I'd say. But who am I to say? What do YOU say?!

4 comments:

  1. Abby,

    I am also astounded by how well Cunningham has gotten into VW's head. The Prologue had me hooked for sure, and it's even more chilling now that I know the letter is actually her real suicide note. The poor woman! I definitely feel bad for her husband too. Thus far, he has been portrayed as someone that deserves my pity, but who knows? Things can definitely change! I am actually excited to find out what happens to Mrs. Brown. She seems like she could take the "Mrs. Dalloway" route at the end of the novel, but she also seems like she's capable of going the VW route as well, even with baby in belly! Can't wait to read more!

    -Megan R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    I'm so glad you're enjoying this! Have you finished it yet? And have you caught the twist at the end? I think that Cunningham is quite clever, and I respect his ability to create a very readable and engaging text that is also thoughtful and intelligent.
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,

    I finished it last night, and I am pretty sure that I caught the twist. I feel like I may have had an inkling about it as I was reading. I thought it was strange that one character was named Richie and the other Richard. I hope this is the twist that you're pointing out. I think it is brilliant of Cunningham to connect Laura Brown and Clarissa Vaughan in this way. Richard's character had much more depth when we learned that his mother had ended up abandoning him, and it was something that he never completely got over.

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon that the other twist you might be indicating is the fact that Laura lived in close proximity with her son, and he never even knew. Or, at least, that is what Jessy and I were discussing today.

    ReplyDelete