Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Talk about taking the good lines...

I can certainly see how Caliban reflects Shakespeare rather than Prospero, however it is very difficult now to find a good example that hasn't been shown already by Abby or Megan. So instead, my post is going to pose a question that can be discussed here or in class. Caliban's last line, in my book is listed as lines 351-354 in Act 5 Scene 1. Prospero's line to Caliban was "Go, sirrah, to my cell./Take with you your companions. As you look/To have my pardon, trim it handsomely." to which Caliban answers:

Ay, that I will, and I'l be wise hereafter
And seek for grace. What a thrice-double ass
Was I to take this drunkard for a god,
And worship this dull fool!

I know we (or at least I remember mentioning) that what seems to be Shakespeare's point is that while some people (i.e. Prospero) get their power and eloquence from books, others (i.e. Caliban) know how to speak naturally and as eloquently too. However this quote makes it sound that Caliban (a.k.a. Shakespeare) DOES have respect for those who speak "by the book" I guess you could say. In this way, Shakespeare/Caliban realizes that not all people who claim to speak well actually can, as we see with the drunkards Stephano and Trinculo. Do other people see this as I do?

1 comment:

  1. I apologize for the quote stealing! I do see this is in a similar fashion. He does consider Stephano and Trinculo to be fools. He claims that he will be "wise hereafter" as well. However, I think part of this may be because Prospero is leaving the island as well. I really don't think he's praising Prospero and his words here, seeing as he had such harsh words about Prospero and his books in beginning and middle of the play.

    I don't necessarily think that Caliban is a villain. However, I don't think his voice is meant to be that of Shakespeare either (as I stated in my post). However, I think that Caliban is one of the people that Prospero/Shakespeare is setting free from his words and writing (the forgiveness that he asks for in the Epilogue.

    It could definitely be read your way too though!

    ReplyDelete